Friday, January 29, 2010

Snow Days

So, as we drove out of my mom's driveway after our Christmas visit, i wondered to myself if maybe I should have packed up the kids's snow clothes and brought them home. Nah, how snowy can Arkansas really get...well boy was I wrong. Since Jan 1st we have missed 6 days of school so far...and this is just the beginning of this storm. I am running out of ideas on how to keep the kids happy and alive without the TV being the main source of entertainment.

"Go play in the snow" you say....well, noone has boots. I guess I need to do the plastic sack over the shoe thing that my parents used to do to us....hey, not a bad idea. At least we have hats and gloves, which is more than what we had in TX. So, if any of you have ideas other than making cookies and drinking hot cocoa, I am all ears. I am actually tempted to brave the weather and head to the golden arches tomorrow, despite all the nastiness and germs, to burn some of the energy bursting at this house. Maybe I will make them each do 30 minutes on the eliptical....another idea I am sure they would eat up.

Anywho...any suggestions, send them my way. Got a few crafts planned, but gotta fill up 14 hours....

4 comments:

Amy said...

It would be hard to be pent up in the house due to snow. We do a lot of painting. My kids do it enough that we don't have to worry about huge messes anymore. They are well traied. Walmart has little figuringes for less than a dollar.

You could make sock puppets and have them put on a puppet show . . .:) I don't know, good luck:)

Kathy said...

Angela: You always loved to put on plays or musicals. Have the girls put on High School Musical to their CD's. It does involve a little mess with dress-up ect but it will keep them occupied for hours. Mom

Betsy said...

make hideouts under tables and chairs and couch cushions. Let them campout in there, even over night. I am always amazed how long my kids stay interested in this activity.

try dance parties. Turn up the music loud and let it out

get some foil cake pans and put in a little dirt to start some seeds to plant for when spring comes

look at family fun.com for lots of rainy day indoor games and activities.

The Hall Clan said...

forts out of blankets, chairs, cushions always work for my boys. although they do get frustrated when it collapses.

UMMMM-slippers, seriously? kids do seem to look over the big things, and little things we spend all day, everyday doing to make their lives easier. that is something chad is wonderful about doing--he is constantly reminding the boys of everything mommy does for them. sometimes he gets rather heated about it. the boys just look at him with big eyes and i have a big old grin.